Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesdays Taste Buds.......aka Shawn's Shepherd's Pie

Shawn's Shepherd's Pie

     I had never heard of shepherd's pie until my son was in high school.  He had a friend named Quincy.  Quincy's mom made shepherd's pie and my son loved it.  One day I came across this recipe in a magazine.  It's been fourteen years since I found it so I honestly don't remember which magazine I took it from.  I call it Shawn's Shepherd's Pie.
     So here is how you make it:
Brown one pound ground beef and one fourth cup chopped onion over medium-high heat until onions are tender: sprinkle with one half teaspoon salt.  If you don't have a fresh onion you can substitute dried onion  ( about two shakes worth) . I say shakes because you are dancing along with Pink.
Prepare one oz. brown gravy mix according to package directions.  ( Or if you have one of these pictured bad boys just make enough for one cup. )  Add to meat mixture.  After gravy thickens, add one ten oz. package of mixed frozen peas and carrots and one half teaspoon basil.
Cover the above and simmer for five minutes.  Pour into a one and a half quart casserole dish.
In the meantime you have been boiling potatoes to make home-made (one to two cups worth ) of mashed potatoes.  After potatoes have boiled mash them with butter and milk.  Season with salt and pepper.  Fold one fourth to one half cups of shredded cheese into potatoes.  The more the cheesier.  Spoon potatoes into a ring on top of meat mixture.
Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for fifteen minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned on top.  Makes four servings.  If you have a big family I guess you will have to double it.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! Do you know I'm pretty sure I've never had your shepard's pie? It looks delish. I think you should invite us over the next time you make it. HInt hint! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will give me more reasons to cook Marie. Will do!

      Delete