Monday, March 3, 2014

True leaf love.......aka 67 plus years of marriage!

True Leaf Love
     I was enjoying a perfectly normal day when the cutest couple walked into my life.  I was at my place of employment (HairMax Salon and Beauty)  talking to a nine year old girl.  The doors of the salon opened and I saw a man and a woman coming through the doors doing the senior shuffle.  They were holding hands and both were smiling as they entered the salon.
     Right away I knew this was a golden moment.  I walked over to greet them and the gentleman asked if he could have a seat while his wife looked for her product.  He told me that his legs could not hold up and he would have to sit while his wife shopped.
     I helped him into a seat and his wife began to look for hairspray.  My co-worker Rachel was helping out his wife to find just the right hairspray.  We have so many to choose from that a lot of people forget exactly what it is they are looking for.  
     Alas, after several minutes (about ten) when the cute lady was about to give up, hope Rachel decided to ask her if the product was refillable.  When she acknowledged that it was Rachel took her over to the Paul Mitchell products and this is what she was looking for:
     She brought up to the counter a 33 oz. bottle of hairspray.  I was so excited for her that she was able to find what she came in looking for.  I rang her up and I said  "Oh good you are getting enough to last a while!"  She told me that her husband saw the bottle and said " Are you going to  leave us before you use all of that up!" I just laughed because she was so adorable.  Now you will hear the rest of the story.
     These little cuties have been married for 67 years.  They told me they had a fishing business in Alaska for fifty years.  They were able to spend their summers in Alaska.  They told me how beautiful Alaska is and that I really need to go and see it.
     When I asked them how long they had been married she couldn't quite remember.  She had to ask him.  When they were ready to leave he couldn't manage to walk out of the store without holding on to her.  Together they were making their relationship work.  They were compensating for each others weaknesses and turning them into strengths to get through however many years they have left together.
     Recently, my son-in-law Danny had a heart to heart with me.  He told me that everyone needs to put Christ in the center of their relationships. Having charity is having the pure love of Christ.  Charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
     I believe that my true leaf loves have figured it out.  I hope I can too.



3 comments:

  1. Now I am crying, thanks for the beautiful story. And yes you need to see Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mrs. Frey you are too cute! My sister is looking into a trip for us this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, sweet couple! Hopefully that will be Richard and me someday.... I love how you manage to find these great stories about people. It's like these stories are just drawn to you. Thanks for sharing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete