Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Satiables......aka Banana Sour Cream Pie

Banana Sour Cream Pie
     I was laying in bed this morning minding my own business when tears started rolling down my cheeks.  It came upon me suddenly and unexpectedly.  I was just thinking about the pies I needed to get up and start making.  One thing lead to another and soon I began thinking about my leaf I call my dad.  My dad loved my pies.  It didn't matter if it was a pumpkin pie, a blueberry pie or a banana cream pie he loved them all.  He would eat them as fast as I could make them.  I lost my dad almost six years ago.  I haven't had a chance to make him a pie in a very long time.  Somehow thinking about pie and thinking about my dad made heaven seem just a little bit closer this morning.
     I have been making this pie since I was 17 years old.  One of my friends Jane Mead used to make it and she shared the recipe with me.  It's my families favorite.
     You need to start by making the pie crust.  Put 2 cups of flour and 1 tsp. of salt in a large mixing bowl.    Stir them together with a fork.  Add one cup of shortening to the flour and while dancing along with Alan Jackson singing Living on love you want to take your pastry blender and mix the shortening into the flour and salt.  It is an uplifting beat and really helps to get the little particles of flour and shortening mixed together.
     Once you have this mixed together well the particles will look the size of coarse cornmeal.  You will add one third to one half cup of water to the mixture.  Toss lightly with a fork and get it well mixed.  Don't add too much water or it will be sloppy and soupy.  You don't want that!  Now you will roll  the dough out to fit into the pie pan or you can take the easy way out and buy a pre-made pie shell and bake it.  The recipe will make three single layer pie crusts or one single and one double pie crust.  Be sure to flute the edge of the pie and prick the dough with a fork before baking.  Bake for 10-15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
     For the pie you will need the following ingredients:
     Prepare one 5 oz. pudding with two cups of milk. I have enough ingredients pictured for two pies.  Stir one half cup sour cream until smooth.  Fold sour cream into pudding.
     In pie shell, slice up 2-3 bananas, pour pudding over and top with cool whip.  Serves 6-8 depending on size of slices.  Expect a yummily delicious satisfying taste to melt in your mouth!
     This shows what it will look like as you are smoothing the pudding over the bananas. Before you eat it look around the room and cherish those who are there with you.  One day they might not be and you're going to miss them.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment