Saturday, March 29, 2014

LeeLee's Likes.....Hatched another batch of chicks!

     I want to share one of my favorite treats.  I have seen similar recipes floating around the internet.  I started making these treats at least 30 years ago.  It is a recipe my sister was given.  She made them.  I loved them and I make them every year at Easter.  It has become a tradition to have these peanut butter treats as part of our meal we have when we get together for our annual Easter egg hunt.
     Two memories I have from making these treats:  some years we were so poor it was a luxury to be able to buy a box of graham crackers to even make them.  My niece Jessi loves them.  It is one of her favorite treats I make.  She is in Colorado now and won't be able to enjoy them with the rest of the family this year.  Poor Jessi!  Poor us!  We miss her!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cookies
     In a large bowl blend together one cup butter (softened) and one cup peanut butter:
     After these are blended well, blend in three and three fourths cups of powdered sugar and one and a half cups of crushed graham crackers.  Crush them well with a rolling pin.  They don't need to be super fine like sand.  It's nice to have a little bit of texture when you bite into them.
     After these are mixed together well. Pat the mixture onto a cookie sheet. 
     Next melt one ( 12 0z. ) bag of chocolate chips in the microwave.  Heat in a microwave safe bowl for one minute.  Stir.  Heat again in thirty second intervals until chocolate chips are melted.  Pour over peanut butter mixture.  Let set until hardened.
     Now for the fun part.  I use a metal cookie cutter to cut out the cute chick shapes.  When that is done I put yellow frosting in a decorator bag and outline the chicks.  You don't even need to be an artist to do this part.  Just relax and have fun!  I prefer the treats chilled in the refridgerator but you can eat them at room temperature too.  They will just be softer.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment