Saturday, April 5, 2014

LeeLee's Likes.............Becky's Cocoa Drops

     Growing up I had a very special friend.  Her name is Becky.  We had so many fun times together through our elementary, junior high and high school years.
     One of my fondest memories of being at Becky's house is the food I used to eat there.  I was a frequent dinner guest.  Her home was my home away from home.  I think her mom just expected to set an extra dinner plate for me.
     Through the technology of social media I have been able to reconnect with Becky, Debi and their amazing mom Sherry.  You will be reading more stories about them over the course of my blog, however, I want to share this cookie recipe today.  It is one of my favorites.  I can't believe I have had it in my possession for forty years.  Where has the time gone?
In a large bowl combine one cup shortening
                                        two cups sugar
                                        two eggs
Mix these thoroughly.
Stir in one and a half cups sour milk  ( to make sour milk you add one tablespoon vinegar to milk )
                            two teaspoons of vanilla
Next you will sift the following ingredients. ( For those of you who aren't familiar with a sifter it looks like this) :
I don't remember a time when my grandmother didn't use one when she baked.  However, I don't think they are used much these days.  It does make your dry ingredients finer and lighter.
Sift these together:  three and a half cups flour
                                 one teaspoon baking soda
                                 one teaspoon salt
                                 one cup cocoa
Add to wet ingredients and blend well.

Chill dough for one hour.  Bake at 400 degrees for eight to ten minutes.  They will look like this when they are done.
They are a really soft, cake like cookie and oh so yummy!  I had some left over icing from some brownies I made earlier in the week so I made them into mint chocolate cocoa drops.  You can add one cup nuts to the dough.  You could even frost them with chocolate frosting.  However you like your cookies ( plain or frosted ) these are a winner!
                                 


6 comments:

  1. Mmmm!!!! These do look tasty, and I'm sure the mint frosting takes them over the top. I liked your memories of eating at Becky's. That's what a lot of my memories of Audrey consist of, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I'm saving some for you to eat tonight so bring your appetite!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I will post the frosting recipe too. They are good!

      Delete
  3. I guess my first comment is floating around in cyber space. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Mine is so old and written in pencil. I am going to make these for my grand kiddies and tell them stories. Watching what you are doing and communicating with you is really blessing my life right now. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete