Tuesday, April 8, 2014

We are all leafs on one big family tree....

     One of the reasons I am writing a blog is so I can leaf (haha) behind a written history of my every day adventures to my posterity. Aka my children and their children etc.....  Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints history is important to me. Especially family history.
     A lot of people would consider me shy.  Anyway, I have had people describe me as being shy.  Little do people know I had an experience for three years that kind of brought me out of my shell.  I was the Relief Society President in my ward.  The Relief Society is a woman's organization within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It was established to do exactly what it says in it's name to give Relief.  There are many ways to do this, but, in order to do it correctly you need to know what kind of relief a person needs.  In order to know what kind of relief a person needs you need to know the person.  In order to know the person you need to knock on doors.  Lots of doors.  That's what I did for three years and after knocking on lots of doors and meeting lots of people I discovered I wasn't as shy as people think I am.
     I also found out that I love people and I love peoples families.  I found out that we are all kind of intertwined together.  We were all put on this Earth at the same time to learn from one another and to help each other get through good times and difficult times.
     The other day I wrote a post about smiling at people.  Today I am going to post what happens when you do more than smile at people.  Three experiences I have had this week:
     The first experience I had was Sunday night.  I was out on a walk when I noticed a man on the opposite side of the road.  For some unknown reason instead of just waving to him I waved and blurted out good day mate!  I think it took him by surprise as much as it did me because he looked at me and than looked at me again and than just kept on walking.
     The second experience was on a walk tonight.  I walked by a house where two children were sitting at a piano.  I don't always look in peoples windows but I just rounded the corner and there they were.  They were looking at me too so I did what any normal person would do and gave them my biggest wave.  They waved right on back.
     The third and best experience was with the three thirteen year old boys and their boy scout leader.  I was walking on the south side of the street and the boys were on the north side of the street.  They had a stack of plastic glasses and were pouring each other drinks right there in the street.  Mind you I had never seen these boys but I said " do you have enough for me to have a drink "  They said " sure, come and get one."  I went right over and my choices were apple juice or pepsi.  I told them I would have apple juice since I was out trying to be healthy.  They poured me a cupful and then their boy scout leader asked me if I would care for a doughnut or a cookie.  On second thought he acknowledged that I was out trying to be healthy so I would probably pass.
     I did pass on the cookies but not before I asked them what they were doing.  They told me they had stopped by to do some yard work for a lady who lived in the house.  I jokingly said " do you know the lady or did you randomly pick out the house? "  I thought it was so nice of the boy scouts to be out helping someone in need.
     Here is my empty cup.  If you look closely you can see the remains of apple juice.  I normally have a strict code of moral conduct and would never drink after eight, but, hey this was for the boy scouts.  Cheers!
    

2 comments:

  1. It's those everyday experiences kids want to know abou their parents and grandparents and so on. I am thrilled that you are taking this time to do this. They will appreciate it in the future as we who read it appreciate it now. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete