Saturday, April 26, 2014

Colonel Jay Hess.........the leaf with a vision

     Originally I was going to make this post to show how beautiful Springtime in Utah is.  One of my favorite homes to drive by in the Spring is in Farmington.  I make several back road trips each Spring to see the tulips in full bloom.  I have often wondered who had the faith and the vision to plant the tulip bulbs that so many people get to enjoy.
     Faith is described in the dictionary as having a strong or unshakeable belief in something, especially without proof or evidence.  I believe that when you plant a tulip bulb six to eight inches in the ground, you have the faith that come Springtime it will grow into a beautiful flower and bloom.
     I also believe that the person who planted these bulbs was a visionary.  A visionary is one who can envision the future.  Being visionary is a gift given by our Heavenly Father to some and a strength given to or developed by others.
     Soon after I posted this picture as my background for my face book page my friend Jamie sent me a link sharing a story about the man who planted the tulips.  I quickly read the story and studied the picture she also sent and I told her that I know who Jay Hess is.  Right then and there I decided it was time to go and thank him for the beautiful tulips he planted.  Here is what happened next:
     I walked up to his door and knocked.  When he answered I said, " I wanted to come and tell you thank you for planting the beautiful tulips.  I know who you are and I know you are an American hero."  I remember when you were held captive and when you were released and when you came home. "  I was wondering if you would share your story with me?"  Isn't that what any sane person would do? (lol)  "I also think it would be nice to have you stand in front of the tulips and if it is o.k. I kind of, sort of, write a blog and I would like to feature you."  Smile!
     I asked him if he planted the tulips to give him solace from his time he spent as a POW in the Viet Nam war.  He answered kindly " on our way home from Viet Nam we had to spend some time in Germany.  While we were there I would notice people coming home from their holidays in Holland.  They had tulips draped over their cars.  I thought to myself I would like to go to Holland and see that for myself some day."  He did go to Holland and decided to bring a little bit of their beauty home with him. 
     Being a kind man he invited me into his home and showed me the pictures in his immaculate office.
  
     The one on the left is the jet he was flying.  It is an F-105.  They don't make them like this anymore.  The one to the right is a drawing of Colonel Hess when he was a pow.  He is wearing the pow issued clothing. In the background of the picture are lots of names of the men who were also held captive with him.  The one below him is when he was reunited with his daughter for the first time in six years.  A photographer captured the picture and it was nominated for the Pulitzer prize.  It has been in the photographers possession until five years ago.  At the time of the photographers death, his daughter contacted Colonel Hess and asked him if he would like to have the picture.  It is priceless!
    
     All of his medals are displayed in this shadow box.  My friend Debbie said that I am awe inspiring.  No Debbie, the man who earned these medals is awe inspiring!
     The picture to the right of the medals is an F-16.  Colonel Hess had always wanted to go up in one of these.  He kept asking the people at Hill Air Force base if he could take a ride.  Their answer was always no.  Dick Norse who was an anchorman with KSL news was doing a story about the F-16 and as part of the story they were going to let Dick go for a ride.  Colonel Hess was surprised with a call saying they would fly two that day and that he could go up in the second jet.  He told me that it was incredible.  He said the g forces were so strong he thought every rib in his rib cage would break.  I think it is the least the Air Force could do for him.
     The picture to the left of the medals is a picture of Colonel Hess in a replica of the cell he was in for five and a half years.  The cell is on display at Hill Air Force base if you want to see it.  There are four bunks built in that tiny space.  Colonel Hess said they actually made it a little wider than it really was.  He said you had to walk sideways to fit into the little space.  He was in this cell for two years with three other men.  He never saw another person besides his guard in that entire time.
     At this point in the interview I told him he is a hero.  This is when he told me I was crazy.  I said " then let's put it this way, YOU have done something that few of  US will ever experience in our lifetime.
     The definition of a hero is this: a man (or woman) of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.  Colonel Hess excuse me for being so bold, but, you sir are a hero.
     Last year I taught a lesson in Relief Society.  I had completely forgotten that I used a thought from Colonel Hess from when he was a POW.  He went for three years without being able to communicate with his family.  His family did not know if he was alive or dead.  He was without paper and pencil for this entire time.  When he had the opportunity to send his family a message it had to be thirty five words or less.  This is what he sent home:  "Dearest Marjorie, Cameron, Heather, Warren, Holly, Heidi.  Above all I seek for eternal life with all of you.  These are important; temple marriage, mission,college.  Press on....set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year." Little did I know, less than a year later I would personally meet the man who wrote those words to his family all those years ago.
     I would like to end this post by telling you from his story as I read it in a book titled POW From the Shadow of Death what Colonel Hess grasped a hold of from the moment he was captured.  He said his faith in eternal life is what got him through. " I can stand the loss of anything, but it would really be a tragic loss to be without the possibility of eternal life.  That is the greatest gift."  On returning home he gave each one of his family members a pencil with the letters 'EL" engraven on it.  Quoting him again he said " If my children can appreciate being without means of writing things down, then maybe it will help them understand the significance of the loss of eternal life.
     When I told Colonel Hess that our service men and women and the sacrifice they made for their country should never be forgotten he gave me the book.  I strongly believe this.  When you wake up tomorrow and the next day and the next I want you to remember the last thing Colonel Hess shared with me.  It is the title of another book that was written to tell the stories of the POW men who were held for long amounts of time and who suffered tremendously.  It is called Freedom is for Those Willing to Defend It.  I hope when the time comes for me to stand up and defend something I will display the same kind of faith, courage and bravery Colonel Hess and so many others have shown to me through their service in our military.
     Thank you for planting the bulbs that would grow and bloom and would lead me to your doorstep.


 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. You give me such a boost when I watch the things you do. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Becky. You are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing story! I remember that lesson you gave. How amazing to see all those pictures on his wall in his office. It gave me chills. He is a true Hero indeed...and so are you for preserving and sharing his story so we will know. Thanks for this LeeAnn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristi! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete