Friday, May 23, 2014

Triple Layer Brownies

I've been a little busy this past week.  We had a luau at the church Saturday night.  My husband and I helped decorate, bake, and emcee the event.

I have been making frames for a friend of mine who has been ill with a brain tumor for five plus years.  We are having a fund raiser for her soon.

I have been planting my flower and vegetable gardens.

I decided I better get the house in order.  It took the back burner for a couple of weeks.

Today I had time to make a batch of brownies.




I first made  these when I was a nanny in New City, New York.  The best part of this brownie is the oatmeal bottom.  Yum!  I used to just make it and eat it back before I had to worry about my figure.  After making them today; I decided it is still the best part of the brownie.  However, they are pretty delicious as a triple layer too.

Triple Layer Brownie

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. melted butter

For bottom layer, stir together the first 5 ingredients.  Stir in 6 Tbsp.  melted butter.  Pat into an 8x8 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1 oz.  square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 egg
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

For middle layer, combine granulated sugar, melted butter, and chocolate; add egg.  Beat well.  Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt;  add to chocolate mixture alternately with a mixture of the milk and vanilla, mixing after each addition.  Spread over the oatmeal layer.  Continue baking at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Cool.  Frost with Fudge Frosting.

1-oz. square unsweetened chocolate
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk

In small saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over low heat;  stir constantly.  Remove from heat;  stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.  Blend in milk to make almost pourable consistency.  Spread over brownies.  Cool.  Cut into 16 squares.  They are really rich so you don't need them very big.  Try to eat just one.

Cakes for the luau.


Flower garden.
One of the frames for Stacy.



No comments:

Post a Comment