Thursday, May 8, 2014

Carla Barlow (the leaf I call my mom-in-law) a tribute by her son

     I first met my mother-in-law when I was 21 years old.  The memories I will always take away from her are these three things: her  accent, her cooking and her ability to make a beautiful yard and garden where ever she goes.
     She has a green thumb.  If she plants a flower under a tree that doesn't get any sun, her flowers will thrive.  If she plants a flower in a pot, the flower will thrive.  I have enjoyed her beautiful flowers not only in her yard, but when she has shared them  as gifts with me to grace my table.
     I asked the Silver Fox if he could write up a little Mother's day ditti for me.  I figured he would know his own mother as good as anyone. He wrote the following tribute for her:
     My mom was born in Massachusetts and grew up on beautiful Cape Cod.  She met my father when she was 18 years old.  He was serving in the Air Force and landed his eye on one of the most beautiful women God has created.
     My mother and father moved to Salt Lake City soon after this picture was taken.  I was just a baby when they moved. Mom would make Utah her new home.
     My mother was a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Her faith and her determination have been examples for good in my own life.
     My mom is a very hard worker.  She was a dental receptionist in Bountiful, Utah for many years.  The Christmas after I graduated from Bountiful High School was a tough one for our family.  Money was very tight.  My parents had recently divorced.  My mother was very concerned about providing a Christmas for our family.  She decided to work a second job.  When she finished her regular eight hour shift, she would go work another three or four hours wrapping gifts for Christmas at Keith O'Briens.  It was a local store at the five points mall in Bountiful.  Neither exist today.
     She has a talent of making anything beautiful, so the packages she wrapped always looked exquisite.  I like to think of my mom as the original " wrap artist ".  (haha Darrell)
     For Christmas of 1975 I received a Book of Mormon, a Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.  Along with the Bible I all ready had, these would be the books I took with my on my mission to Auckland, New Zealand 38 years ago this July.
     I still treasure this book of scriptures today.  They are as priceless to me as my dear mother is to me.  We have been blessed to have Carla Barla (inside joke) for a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother to our family.



No comments:

Post a Comment