Saturday, February 22, 2014

Along came Maggie: part two

     The thing I love about Maggie the most is she is a great story teller.  She has taken me as far back in her life as possible.  She always has something new to tell me.
     The other thing I really love about Maggie is she hasn't stopped living.  She is slowing down a little but she still has some living in her.  At ninety years old she still drives a car.  She lives alone and completely takes care of herself.  She also has spunk and is a bit feisty.  Oh can she make me laugh without even trying.
     Her life hasn't always been easy.  She lost her mother when she was eighteen years old.  She took her two youngest siblings into her home after their mother died.  She worked day and night to keep food in the cupboards and a roof over their heads.  Before, her mother died, she also worked and sent most of her earnings to her mother and father to help them provide for their family.  This was back in the day, like, really back in the day.  She talks about her younger sister and brother as if they were her own children.  When she talks about her parents she refers to them as mama and daddy.  I love it!
     The one true blessing Maggie had in her life was Keith.  They were married for a long time but were never able to have children of their own.  They adopted two children.  A daughter Nancy and a son Billy.  I never knew them personally, but, I have heard stories about them.
     The saddest story Maggie tells me is about Billy.  He was only sixteen years old when he was hit head on in a collision on Main Street in Kaysville.  He hadn't been driving for very long and was with some friends.  None of them had on seat belts, because, we didn't have seat belts back in the day. To this day when Maggie tells me about Billy it is just like the accident happened yesterday not forty years ago.  Maggie's cute husband Keith never did get over it.
     Keith passed away four years ago.  At his funeral many of the same songs that were played on the piano or sang were the same ones played at Billy's funeral.
     I will end with the last funny thing Maggie told me that had me rolling.  She was eighty six when Keith died.  Her daughter Nancy asked her if she thought she would ever remarry.  Maggie replied "Heavens no I'm not taking care of no man at my age!" '" Well, if he wants to come and take care of me, well now, that's a different story!"  Pure, spunky Maggie!
     Stay tuned for part three of Maggie's story as I try to duplicate the Queen of Fudge, fudge!  See you next time.  LeeLee
    

1 comment: